Monday, October 25, 2010

A whole new world... haha‏ 10/25/10

Hello from Virginia!!!

Wow, things sure are different here in Harrisonburg...
First off, the last week has been crazy, finishing up my time in Charlottesville, trying to get some last words in to investigators and saying bye to members, it is hard stuff... Saying bye to Natalie was probably the hardest one, but she gave us the greatest letters and we got pictures with her which was so great! Everyone at Charlottesville was so great and I grew so close to them and it was really hard to say bye... or cya later. ;)
Thursday we had to leave, we went down to Richmond and listened to President, all that good stuff and then I left my companions and traveled up to Harrisonburg with Elder Carpenter and his greeny. A lot of things are going on, I've been able to meet a lot of people, both members, less-actives, investigators, it's been real good. Harrisonburg has so much potential that we've been finding. We've been tracting a lot, which isn't the most effective form of finding but it has been working. We go around the dorms and apartments and just talk about the Book of Mormon! (by the way we're on JMU campus area) Since I've been here we have 3 return appointments and about 10 phone numbers for potential investigators. It's been real good! :) The ward here is great, not many young adults but hopefully that will change, we're working on it. I was able to bear my testimony on Sunday to introduce myself, I love doing that, but this ward is great and the love Elder Justice, since he's been here for about 7 months he has been able to get to know everyone pretty well. :) Being Senior Companion is really great, I really get to grow and lead out... Elder Justice is pretty casual, and just staying consistent. I've really been trying to bring the fire, and he is such a great missionary, I love him and he's great at making people around him comfortable. So we're gonna be real good I'm sure of it. :)
Funny story... We set a really less-active for baptism!!! hahaha, so we're just gonna try to get her to come to church and partake of the sacrament. :) We don't have any of her records and we met with her and talking, and she brings up how she wants to be baptized... Missionary minded I think alright we can do that! I though she had been baptized as a baptist and wanted to be baptized again... So I commit her to be baptized on November 27th so we have room to prepare her for it, and she accepts! Turns out talking to her more, she said that she has already been baptized into the mormon church... So that went straight out the window. haha, but we're gonna help here to take the sacrament and renew those covenants so she can feel clean again. That's my funny story...
I just want you all to know that miracles happen and missionaries are being led by the spirit, I know it's happening because it happened to me last night while we were finding. We really found the elect and people seemed to be excited about the Book of Mormon. :) The Book of Mormon is such a powerful thing, just sharing simple scriptures with people really help them open their eyes no matter what. I love it... I accidentally left this out awhile ago... On October 14th, a Thursday I finished the Book of Mormon for the first time. Reading from the very beginning, reading the intro and all that, to the very end. I know it is true... It is the word of God, and that it brings happiness and joy. We have the desirable fruit for all mankind and we all have the opportunity to share the delicious fruit with others. Just as Lehi desired his family to partake of the fruit of the tree, I desire that for my brothers and sisters as well. They are lost in the mist of darkness and we need to help them take hold of the iron rod. 2 Nephi 8. Where are you in Lehi's vision? Think of that then think of where you would want to be and think of how you can get there, and how you can get other people there too. The Book of Mormon is the key from the apostasy, it is the keystone of our religion, without it everything would crumble.
I love you all, I desire that you will partake of the fruit. Read the Book of Mormon. By doing so you can receive Moroni's promise... "By the power of the Holy Ghost, you may know the truth of all things." Continue to be the example, do what is right and the Lord will bless you. He is bound when you do what He says, follow the commandments. :)
I love you and I hope you all have a great week... Until next time! :)

I love the life of a missionary... :)

Elder Hopkins

No comments:

Post a Comment